Chicago Now Interview With John Cho

Posted by Admin Thursday, October 1, 2009

John Cho is dedicated to his new ABC series, "FlashForward."

The 37-year-old actor, known for playing stoner Harold in the "Harold & Kumar" movies, was up at 6:30 a.m. Thursday to kick off a day of phone interviews in support of the thriller, which airs at 7 p.m. Thursdays.

"I'm nude and in bed," he joked when I mentioned the early hour. "What are you wearing?"

Cho, who starred as Lt. Sulu in this year's hit reboot of "Star Trek," plays FBI agent Demetri Noh in "FlashForward." Noh and his partner are investigating the circumstances that caused everyone on Earth to black out for 2 minutes and 17 seconds and have visions of what they will be doing six months in the future.

Cho wouldn't give away anything about what the future holds for his character, but he did promise exciting things from the series. (And by the way, I was fully clothed.)

Don't miss the interview below, or a video sneak peek of this week's episode. Spoilers ahead? I don't think so--unless you aren't caught up with "FlashForward."

Congrats. You scored goo numbers with the premiere. Are you surprised at the show's success and at the fans and all the buzz?
You know, in a way I always expect everything I'm in to bomb. You're always kind of taken aback by success, I think. We allowed ourselves to celebrate a little bit and we breathed a little sigh of relief, but I feel like it's weeks 2, 3 and 4 that are really critical to us. To their credit, ABC publicity put together a great publicity campaign and we felt like people knew about it. I think the expectations were there to draw in a lot of first-time eyeballs. I think we have a strong show so I hope those people return in the coming weeks. I think that's the big test.

ABC did a good job of publicizing the show, but not giving anything away.
It's hard to keep a secret these days.

You've had that experience already with "Star Trek," didn't you?
Yeah, these last two projects I've been involved with have been high-level security, which is frustrating or annoying on a personal level because they're the only two projects I've done that people know about and ask about. Usually they're like, "What are you working on?" And I'm like, "Oh, it's a comedy about guys getting a burger," and I don't have to go any further because they're really disinterested. So, ironically, finally when people are interested I can't say anything.

Tell me about Demetri. Is it weird to be the only character who doesn't flash forward?
Yes it is. It's a little bit of a cast-wide guessing game, we're always trying to figure out what's going to happen to people.

So you don't know?
No.

Would you tell me if you did?
No.

What would Harold do in this situation?
He would panic, I think. He would panic and start constructing a bunker.

And would he smoke up?
Oh, is that where you're going? That's very clever of you.

Hey I try. So, in Thursday's episode, Demetri and Mark (Joseph Fiennes) go to Utah to interview a suspect. Is it that guy we saw in the video in Episode 1? Can you say?
I cannot say, and how dare you ask. [Pause.] It's going to be good. How's that?

That's great. Thanks.
Let me assure you of this: My experience reading the scripts mirrors watching episodes, really, because I don't know where the show's going [either]. There's a lot of excitement internally for us reading each script. I've been satisfied with how great the scripts are, but what's been a surprise is how much they're revealing in each episode. It really advances the end game. Each episode has kind of a bombshell every week. I've been surprised at how much they're giving away this early.

The flash-forward date is 10 p.m. April 29, 2010. If the series goes on to multiple seasons, will it show the longest six months ever?
We're going to switch formats and become a four-camera sitcom after April 29. It's going to be a comedy about two roommates in New York [and] one's messy. The writers, particularly creator David Goyer and the showrunner Marc Guggenheim, have a master plan that's very thorough. My understanding is that they pitched to ABC the first three seasons. They are very confident that if they get there they can accordion out accordingly.

Source: Chicago Now

blog comments powered by Disqus
Blog Widget by LinkWithin